Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Top Ten Series I Want to Start But Haven't Yet

In this week's Top Ten Tuesday (a weekly meme hosted by the bloggers of The Broke and Bookish), we're lamenting the truthfulness behind that ancient saying "So many books, so little time".  Like a lot of avid readers, I have literally hundreds of books on my Goodreads to-read shelf and probably a dozen on my physical shelf waiting to be read.  But here are the top ten series I am very excited to start reading... sometime.  Hopefully.


1.
 Ashfall (Ashfall series) by Mike Mullin
In my Geology class, we're always talking about the possibility of the Yellowstone volcano exploding and pretty much wrecking havoc on the North American continent, and how it actually is long overdue for an eruption.  Really cheerful stuff.  The Ashfall series takes place in a post-apocalyptic North America where exactly this happens.  

2.
 Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters series) by Juliet Marillier
I really like this author and really hope I will like this ultra-popular, slightly older fantasy series.  You know, whenever I get around to reading it.

3.
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna series) by Kendare Blake

4.
The Walking Dead graphic novels by Robert Kirkman
So I love the TV series and now want to try the graphic novels.  (Even though Daryl Dixon is apparently not in them?!)  I don't usually read American-style graphic novels, being a manga addict, but in this case I'll probably make an exception. 

5.
 Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices series) by Cassandra Clare
 I technically have read the first book, but feel like I should give it another try and refresh my memory.  I know some people love the Infernal Devices even more than the original Mortal Instruments, but I don't remember this one being very memorable-- maybe a re-read will help!

6.
 The Diviners by Libba Bray
The first book in a planned YA series.  I loved Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy, not so much Beauty Queens.  I think this one is about flappers and black magic.  Yay.

7.
 The Name of the Wind (King-killer Chronicles) by Patrick Rothfuss
I started this first book and actually really did like it-- I just haven't had time to pick up where I left off yet.  The writing in this book is seriously amazing; it is definitely well-crafted fantasy.

8.
Birthmarked (Birthmarked series) by Caragh M. O'Brien
A pretty good-sounding YA dystopia series with a confusing synopsis I won't even try to paraphrase.

9.
The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy) by Brent Weeks
 I've kinda wanted to read this epic-urban fantasy series for a long time.  Just not enough to pick up the first book; maybe it will happen some slow day at the library.

10.
 Enclave (Razorland series) by Ann Aguirre
Another popular dystopia seris I've yet to start reading.  I literally had never noticed the creepy hand in the bottom right corner of the cover until now.

Leave the links to your Top Ten posts and I'll be sure to visit and comment back!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually loved Beauty Queens, not so much A Great and Terrible Beauty.

It's funny how everyone has different reading tastes.

Elizabeth said...

You should totally give Clockwork Angel another try! I LOVE that series more then the MOrtal Instruments..can't wait to get my hands on Clockwork Princess this month! I was disappointed with Anna Dressed in Blood. I hope to read Enclave and get started on the Walking Dead graphic novels sometime this year. Great list!

My TTT: http://nightmareonbookstreet.blogspot.com/2013/03/top-ten-tuesday-series-i-want-to-start.html

Somewhere Only We Know said...

New follower! We have a couple of series that are on both of our lists. But The Infernal Devices, that's a must. I like it better than The Mortal Instruments!

Check out my TTT.

Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

Kat C @ Books and Sensibility said...

Thanks for the Graceling rec, Kat ! I am one of those people who liked Clockwork Angel better than Mortal Instruments, it is pretty good and the series is about to end in a few weeks !

Anonymous said...

Ermahgerd, Daughter of the Forest! Amazing, amazing book. I read it a few years ago and it still haunts me. Juliet Marillier *sigh*.

Also, despite my obsession with Daryl from the Walking Dead, the graphic novels are actually pretty awesome, even without him. A lot more, er, deathy, though. Be prepared.

Katie (The Literary Files) said...

I also really want to start The Diviners, Infernal Devices and Anna Dressed in Blood series too! :)
I read Birthmarked and thought it was okay, but I hear the next books in the series are amazing! Hope you love all of these, Kat!

Kat said...

@Caitline-- Yay, I just ordered the first Walking Dead compendium. I'm sure it will be awesome even without Daryl. :)

@quinnsbooknook-- Hmm, I didn't exactly dislike Beauty Queens, just had very high expectations from Libba Bray. It's a very funny, clever book, tho.

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Raya @ midnight coffee monster said...

I have a few of these on my to-read shelf! Ah, I've wanted to read Anna Dressed in Blood for some time -- I even snagged the library's copy, but I didn't get around to it. Likewise with The Diviners, which I hear is great.

I read up to the fourth volume in the TWD comics, and I just couldn't get into them. Maybe the comics will be a better match for you than me.

Hopefully you'll find time for each of these books and their series!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...